When making quick breads with 100% whole grain flour I've found you need to be gentle with the mixing and use the correct grain. Soft white or soft red wheat berries are pastry flour. They have less gluten then a hard wheat berry. Gluten, is the protein in wheat and you need a high gluten grain for bread but not for tender products like cakes, muffins or a pie crust.
All of my recipes are in grams, and you will be much more successful if you weigh out your ingredients. When I convert my recipes to cups it's not as accurate so it does change the recipe a bit. When you weigh out your ingredients you will always get dependable results. Baking is a science not an art.
Oven Preheat: 425 degrees
Bake Time: 16-17 minutes TOTAL TIME
Bake: 5 minutes at 425 degrees
Bake: 12 minutes at 375 degrees
2 1/4 c. Soft White flour (375g)
2 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 ts[. Salt
3/4 c. + 2T Sugar (160g)
2 Large eggs
3 T. Melted unsalted butter (45g)
3 T. Vegetable oil (43g)
1 c. + 1T. Buttermilk (254g)
1/4 tsp. Almond extract
1 T. Vanilla
1-1/2 c. Blueberries - fresh
NOTE USING FROZEN BERRIES:
If you are using frozen blueberries leave them out of the batter. Mix everything according to the directions below. Add 1 tablespoon in bottom of each muffin cup. Then add a couple of frozen blueberries then continue to layer the batter and berries. This will give you a much nicer muffin that will not be streaked blue by the frozen berries. Bake as directed.
- Mix all the dry ingredients by hand together in a large bowl
- Mix all the #1 wet ingredients by hand in another smaller bowl
- Mix all the #2 wet ingredients by hand in a separate smaller bowl
- Mix wet #1 and #2 together well
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold together until just combined.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or even overnight