This recipe is for a 6 quart Instant Pot, so if you have a smaller one like I do half all the ingredients. I find 1/3 to 1/2 cup of raw barley is about perfect for a single serving size.
Serves: 4 good sized servings
- 3 tsp oil, divided
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms , white, cremini, portabella or mixed, 8 to 10 oz
- 1/2 tsp salt , divided (use less if using salted broth)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp tarragon or rosemary
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning or add some thyme, sage, rosemary and onion powder
- a generous dash of black pepper
- 1 cup pearled barley or arborio rice or brown rice
- 2 1/4 cup water or veggie broth or chicken stock
- 1-2 cups baby spinach
- butter, Parmesan cheese, a handful of chopped parsley for garnish
- Put the Instant Pot on saute. Once hot, add 2 tsp oil. Add onion, garlic and a good pinch of salt and mix and cook for 1-2 mins.
- Add the mushrooms and mix in. Continue to cook for 3 to 4 mins. Add 2 tbsp water or white wine to deglaze in between.
- Add the herbs and black pepper and mix in. Add barley and 1 tsp oil and mix in well to coat. You can continue to roast for 1-2 mins here.
- Add water or broth and salt. Mix well. Cancel saute, close the lid, and Pressure cook for 20 mins (Manual High).
- Once the pot has finished the cooking time, press cancel so it does not stay on Keep warm. I just let the pressure drop naturally it takes about 10 minutes. Let it sit longer with the barley it takes a while to become soft.
- Open the lid, give it a good mix. Taste and adjust salt and flavor if needed. Add in the spinach and mix in. Let sit for a minute. (If using hearty greens, add them earlier).
- Add some butter/extra virgin olive oil (about a tbsp). (For a creamier risotto, add 1/4 cup non dairy cream and mix in and bring to a gentle boil on saute.)
- Serve garnished with parsley or scallions and a good dash of black pepper.
For variation: Add 1/4 cup dry white wine after adding the herbs.
- Toast the grain before adding broth. The pan is hot enough and this takes just a minute or 2.
- Caramelized onion and browned mushrooms add a deep flavor. Cook them long enough.
- The risotto can easily be made without oil by roasting in a bit of broth.
- Don’t like mushrooms?, use more onion, zucchini, cauliflower, broccolini etc and add more poultry seasoning.