are some recipes that use the crock pot and make great meat fillings. You don't have to use the whole roast but save 3 cups of meat for these meat pies.
Sesame Pork Roast
Savory Beef Sandwiches
Onion Pot Roast
Herb Faux-tisserie Chicken
Now you can use a pie crust pastry for the meat pies but that is more
calories than using a yeasted dough. This dough is made the day before
you bake and placed into the fridge, but will hold for 3 days in the fridge if
Scales - When you weigh out your dough each pie will be uniform.
Tortilla Press - Not a necessity but sure makes rolling perfect circles easier.
French Tapered Rolling Pen - Rolls perfect circles.
Silicon Pastry Rolling Mat- Guide to roll perfect circles.
#12 Baking Scoop - This is 1/3 of a cup, used to portion the meat filling.
If you have nice equipment you will be a better cook and it certainly will be
more enjoyable. The holiday season is coming and many of these tools are
not expensive and make great gifts for the cooks in your life.
Dough Recipe - For Calzones or Meat Pies
Yields: 8 Calzones or Meat Pies
Oven: 350 degrees
Bake: 20-30 minutes
3 c. Hard Red or Hard White (bread flour) (340g)
2 tsp. Instant Yeast (5g)
1 1/4 tsp. Salt (9g)
2 T. Olive Oil (28g)
2 T. Honey (40g)
3/4 c. + 2 T. Water (195g)
- The day before the bake you will put together the dough and place it into the fridge. I can stay there for up to 3 days if needed.
- Weigh or measure out the flour, yeast and salt and mix them together.
- Combine all the liquid ingredients, the water, oil and honey in another container.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and mix until combined.
- Place in a container with a lid and put into the fridge overnight.
Start with 3 cups or so of cooked meat
There are a few rules when making meat pies the first is the filling need to be dry or it will leak out. The second is don't over stuff the pies, use 1/3 cup filling per pie. Now you can add anything you would like to the 3 cups of meat, like onions, vegetables, dried herbs. The filling needs to be well spiced because when you cover it with the bread it tends to mellow down the flavor.
So I always add more flavor than if I was just eating the meat alone.
For these I added caramelized onions and mushrooms. I also added a good amount of chili peppers. The meat I chose was the Sesame Pork Roast which has a nice flavor. I cooked everything to make sure the mixture was fairly dry. I could of also added cheese, when making the pies. If you choose to add grated cheese add only 1T. per pie on top of the meat mixture before you fold it over.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces it will be around 78g each
- Roll each piece into a 7 inch circle
- Place 1/3 scoop of the meat mixture on the dough - a #12 baking scoop works perfect and fold over ( add the 1 T. grated cheese now)
- Crimp with a fork
- Make a small hole in the top of each pie for the steam to escape.
- Let them raise about 20 minutes while you are pre-heating the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden brown
- Cool and freeze for extra meals in the future.