Canning Supplies Needed:
Water Bath Canner or large pot
5 pint (16oz) canning jars with lids and bands
12 c. finely chopped zucchini (about 12 med. zucchini)
4 c. chopped onions (about 3 Med) use red for color or a mixture
2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped (or use yellow pepper)
1/3 c. pickling salt
2 1/2 c. sugar (optional add 1T. Non Instant Clear Jel to sugar)
2 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
1 T. ground nutmeg
1 T. ground turmeric
4 T. prepared horseradish
1 chili pepper, including seeds, chopped (4 chopped jalapenos)
Note: If needed to thicken use 1 T. Clear Jel (Non-Instant)
If you use half pint jars process for 10 minutes in water bath
- Combine zucchini, onions, red and green peppers and salt in a large glass or stainless steel bowl. Cover and place in the fridge overnight.
- Transfer to a colander and place over the sink and drain the liquid. Rinse with cool want and drain thoroughly. With your hands, squeeze out the excess liquid. I use a salad spinner to get it dry.
- Combine the zucchini mixture, sugar, vinegar, nutmeg, turmeric, horseradish and chili pepper in a large stainless saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until the liquid is reduced and the mixture is the consistency of a commercial relish. This will take about 45 minutes. If you added the Clear Jel to the sugar it will thicken up quicker.
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Wash lids in soapy water and set bands aside.
- Ladle hot relish into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot relish. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- Process jars for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat; remove lid and let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.