Pan: 9 x 13 (Line pan with parchment paper)
Bake: 45 minutes
Crumb Topping Ingredients
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened (225 grams or 1 cup)
2/3 c. sugar (130 grams)
2/3 c. packed dark-brown sugar (130 grams)
1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 c. cake flour (soft white flour) 360 grams
- Combine the butter and both sugars in a mixer. Cream until very light.
- Combine the cinnamon, salt and flour; add all at once and beat on medium just until large crumbs form.
- Scrape down the sides and the bottom for unincorporated flour. Mix briefly. Do not over mix or you will end up with a really thick cohesive mixture.
- Store the crumbs in the refrigerator while you make the cake.
2-1/2 c. + 2 T. cake flour (Soft White flour) 315 grams
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup granulated sugar (200 grams)
1-1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature (170 grams)
3 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2/3 c. low-fat buttermilk (163 grams)
Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Line a 9×13 inch pan with parchment.
- Spray under the parchment to hold it in place and spray the parchment and sides of the pan.
- Set aside.
Directions for Cake Batter
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Without cleaning the bowl in which the crumbs were made, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time and then the vanilla. If it curdles, that is fine. Add flour alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour. Beat until well combined.
- Spoon batter into pan and spread evenly using an offset spatula. Spread the crumbs evenly over the batter.
- Bake until golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer the crumb cake to a rack and cool about 15 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar.
This crumb cake also freezes well. Just wrap it well and freeze. To use, I would recommend unwrapping it and thawing it completely first. Re-wrap it in foil and reheat it in a 350 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes – just to warm it all the way through.
Pastry Like a Pro Helen S. Fletcher, 2/8, 2016