Yields 2 pints (easily doubled)
1/2 tsp. whole yellow Mustard seed
1/2 tsp. fennel seed
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch coins (cut on bias)
2 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp salt
- Place 1/4 teaspoon each if whole yellow mustard seed, fennel seed, celery seed, smoked paprika, and crushed red pepper in each sterilize prepared pint jar.
- Divide the peeled and sliced carrots between the 2 jars. Shake them to get the carrots to settle down in to the jars.
- Bring the apple cider vinegar, sugar and salt to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt.
- Pour over the carrots into the prepared pint jars, leaving 1/1 inch head space. Wipe the rims and place the lids on the jars and screw on the bands until they're fingertip tight.
- Process in a water-bath canner for 15 minutes, adjust for altitude if needed.
- Turn off the heat source and let the jars sit for 5 minutes in the canner.
- Remove and cool, after 24 hours check to seals. Store out of direct sunlight without the bands for up to a year.