I came across a recipe from Cooks Illustrated that is perfect it gives you tasty thick gravy and you make the mix so you control the salt.
(1) 4lb.. Boneless Chuck Roast...Serves 4 - 6 people
If your roast is tied, untie it and divide the roast into two halves, this will allow you to apply the spice rub not only to the exterior of the roast but to the inside for extra flavor. Then tie it back together after applying the spice rub or make two smaller roasts.
You will need an 18-inch-wide roll of heavy-duty aluminum foil for this recipe. I used a baking bag so clean up was easy.
Spice Rub Ingredients
3 tablespoons cornstarch
4 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons light brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder ( regular instant coffee will work)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1 (4-pound) boneless beef chuck-eye roast
2 onions, peeled and quartered
6 small potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
(red potatoes hold up better when cooking)
4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Combine rub ingredients in small bowl. Double the recipe so you don't have to make it again for the next time you make this recipe....and believe me you will make it again.
- 2. Pat roast dry with paper towels. Separate roast into 2 pieces along natural seam and trim fat to ¼-inch thickness. Tie kitchen twine around each roast at 1-inch intervals or tie back into one roast.
- Place onions, potatoes, carrots, and bay leaves in center of foil and drizzle with soy. Set roasts on top of vegetables. Rub roasts all over with the rub. Fold opposite corners of foil toward each other and crimp edges tightly to seal. Transfer pan to oven and cook until meat is completely tender, about 4½ hours. I used an oven bag and followed the same procedure.
- 4. Remove roasts from foil pouch and place on carving board. Tent meat with foil and let rest 20 minutes. Discard onions and bay leaves. Using slotted spoon, place carrots and potatoes on serving platter. Strain contents of roasting pan through fine-mesh strainer into fat separator. Let liquid settle, then pour defatted pan juices into serving bowl.
- 5. Remove kitchen twine from roasts. Slice roasts thinly against grain and transfer to platter with vegetables. Pour ½ cup pan juices over meat. Serve with remaining pan juices.
- MAKE AHEAD Rub can be made and stored in airtight container at room temperature for 1 month.