Time: 22-25 minutes
Yields: 36 regular cupcakes
Pan: Line with paper or foil bake cups 2 1/2 inch diameter
2 c. sugar (400g)
1 3/4 c. All purpose flour or milled whole grain soft white (220g)
3/4 c. Hersey's coco powder or the Hersey's Special Dark coco powder (65g)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
1 c. milk (242g)
1/2 c. vegetable oil (112g)
2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. boiling water or coffee
- In your mixing bowl add all the dry ingredients; sugar, flour, coco, baking powder and soda along with the salt - blend together.
- Add the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla and beat on medium speed for 2 minute, the batter will be very thin.
- Finally stir in the boiling water or coffee
- Fill the muffin cups half full it makes 36 cupcakes
The frosting can be made up to 24 hours in advance and refrigerated in an
an airtight container. If needed warm it up a few seconds in the microwave and whisk until the desired consistency.
Yields: about 2 1/4 cups
1/3 c. sugar (66g)
2 large egg whites
12 T. unsalted butter cut into pieces and softened (170g)
6 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
1/2 tsp. vanilla
- In a bowl melt the chocolate and set aside.
- Combine the sugar, egg whites and salt in a bowl. You will need to heat this so I used a bowl that fit over one on my pans that I filled with a couple inches of water on the stove.
- Have the water simmering below, and whisk the mixture until it registers 150 degrees. It will take about 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and beat with your mixer using the whisk attachment for 1-2 minutes until it's the consistency of shaving cream and is slightly cool.
- Add the butter, one piece at a time and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Once all the butter is added, add the cooled melted chocolate and vanilla. Increase the mixer speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy. Scraping the sides as needed.
- If the frosting seems too soft, place into the fridge to firm it up. You can re-whip it once it has gotten firmer.
Mount 2-3 Tablespoon of the frosting on the center of each cupcake.