Oven: 325 degrees
Pan: 9 inch spring form
- 1 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 8 wedges, and sliced 1/8 inch thick crosswise. (about 3 large apples)
- 1 T. Calvados or Apple Brandy or White Rum
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 c. + 2 T. Soft White (berries) pastry flour (135g) +(15g) divided
- 1 c. sugar (200g) + 1T use as topping
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 salt
- 1 large egg + 2 egg yolks divided
- 3/4 c. vegetable oil (168g)
- 1 c. milk (244g)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Confectioner's sugar
- Prepare pan, grease 9 inch spring form pan. Place prepared pan on rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Place apple slices in the microwave safe pie plate, cover and microwave until apples are pliable and slightly translucent, about 3 minutes. toss apple slices the Calvados and lemon juice and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Whisk 1 cup flour (135g), 1 cup sugar (200g), baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.
- Whisk whole egg (NO YOLKS), oil, milk, and vanilla together in a second bowl until smooth. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until just combined. Transfer 1 cup of this batter to separate bowl and set aside.
- Add egg yolks to remaining batter which you took the 1 cup from whisk to combine. Using spatula, gently fold in cooled apples. Transfer batter to prepared pan; using offset spatula, spread batter evenly to pan edges, gently pressing on apples to create even, compact layer and smooth surface.
- Whisk remaining 2 T flour (15g) into 1 cup reserved batter. Pour over batter in pan and spread batter evenly to pan edges and smooth surface. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon sugar over cake.
- Bake until center of the cake is set, toothpick is in inserted in the center comes out clean, and the top is golden brown, about 1 1/4 hours. Transfer pan to rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the sides of the pan and let cool completely, 2-3 hours. Dust lightly with confectioner's sugar, cut into wedges and serve.