The frosting can be made up to 24 hours in advance and refrigerated in an
an airtight container. If needed warm it up a few seconds in the microwave and whisk until the desired consistency.
Yields: about 2 1/4 cups
1/3 c. sugar (66g)
2 large egg whites
12 T. unsalted butter cut into pieces and softened (170g)
6 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
1/2 tsp. vanilla
- In a bowl melt the chocolate and set aside.
- Combine the sugar, egg whites and salt in a bowl. You will need to heat this so I used a bowl that fit over one on my pans that I filled with a couple inches of water on the stove.
- Have the water simmering below, and whisk the mixture until it registers 150 degrees. It will take about 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and beat with your mixer using the whisk attachment for 1-2 minutes until it's the consistency of shaving cream and is slightly cool.
- Add the butter, one piece at a time and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Once all the butter is added, add the cooled melted chocolate and vanilla. Increase the mixer speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy. Scraping the sides as needed.
- If the frosting seems too soft, place into the fridge to firm it up. You can re-whip it once it has gotten firmer.
Mount 2-3 Tablespoon of the frosting on the center of each cupcake