Pie Pan: 9 inch or 10 inch
Scale...Once you have one you will wonder how you baked without it.
Food Processor ... Not required but makes the job easier.
Instant Read thermometer
Oven: 375 degrees (Blind Bake Crust)
Bake: 10-15 minutes (Blind Bake Crust)
Yields: 8 Servings
9 inch Pie Single Crust Recipe:
2/3 c. soft white flour (76 g)
1/3 c. oat flour (37 g)
2 T. sugar (25 g)
1/4 tsp salt
2 T. unsalted butter chilled (28 g)
2 T. lard or shortening chilled (26 g)
2 T. cold buttermilk (31 g)
10 inch Single Pie Crust Recipe:
1 c. soft white flour (110 g)
1/2 c. oat flour (55 g)
3 T. sugar ((37 g)
1/2 tsp. salt
3 T. unsalted butter chilled (48 g)
3 T. lard or shortening chilled (34 gg)
1/4 c. cold buttermilk (61 g)
With a Food Processor or by hand
- Mix together flour, sugar, and salt thoroughly.
- Cut or pulse the butter into dry mix until the size of tiny peas. Then add lard or shortening and cut or pulse into the dry mix until the peas size pieces.
- Add some of the buttermilk and pulse, do not over mix, add the remaining buttermilk, press into a ball, and then flatten into a rounded disk.
- Roll the dough into a strip and fold over into thirds. Repeat this process 3 times until the dough comes together.
- Then put into the refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Roll the dough between two pieces of parchment paper or plastic. And place over the pie pan and press into shape.
- Blind Bake the Crust....More Information