Yield: 10 Servings
- 1 cup Kamut (186g)
- 4 cups water (948g)
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice (58g)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (42g)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
- 1. Place Kamut in a large bowl and let soak overnight in 2 cups of water The next day add the additional 2 cups of water, bring to a boil and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes until tender. Drain well, and let cool completely. This will give you 3 cups of cooked Kamut grain.
- 2. Stir in tomatoes, onions, peppers, cilantro, lime juice, oil and seasonings. Add beans; toss to combine. Refrigerate, covered, at least 30 minutes. Serve with cheese. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts 3/4 cup equals 139 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 161 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.