9 inch Pie Pan
Yields: 6-8 Servings
Bake: 375 degrees for 15 minutes
Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 33-40 minutes longer (until a knife comes out clean in the middle of the pie)
Pie Crust Recipe:
1/2 c. soft white flour (63 g)
1/2 c. oat flour (50 g)
2 T. sugar (25 g)
1/2 tsp salt
2 T. unsalted butter chilled (28 g)
2 T. lard or shortening chilled (26 g)
2 T. cold buttermilk (31 g)
With a mixer or by hand
Mix together flour, sugar, and salt thoroughly. Cut the butter into dry mix until the size of tiny peas. Then add lard or shortening and cut into the dry mix until the peas size pieces. Add some of the buttermilk and mix, do not over mix, add the remaining buttermilk, press into a ball, and then flatten into a rounded disk. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. The dough may be dry but it will come together after the rest in the refrigerator.
Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Roll the dough between two pieces of parchment paper or plastic. And place over the pie pan and press into shape.
1/3 cup butter, softened (75 g)
1/2 cup sugar (100 g)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup evaporated milk (189 g)
2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
or about 2 medium sweet potatoes
Note: 500g of potatoes makes into about 2 cups cooked & mashed
sweet potatoes. (cream in food processor)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
Sweet Potato Roasting Instructions:
1. Preheat oven and wash the sweet potatoes: Preheat oven to 375°F. Scrub the sweet potatoes well and pat them dry with a dish towel.
2. Prick with a fork and roast: Prick each sweet potato several times with a fork. Place on a baking sheet and put them into the oven to roast.
3. Check for doneness: Depending on the size of your potatoes, it may take between 30 minutes to 1 hour for them to be done. Check at 30 minutes by squeezing one of the potatoes using an oven mitt to protected your hands and inserting a sharp knife into the center. They should feel quite soft and the knife should easily glide all the way through. If not return to the oven and check again in 10 minutes.
Or microwave the Sweet Potato until fork tender.
In a bowl with your mixer or with the food processor, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs; mix well. Add milk, mashed sweet potatoes, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; mix well. Pour into pie shell and add the crumb topping.
- 1/3 c. (hard white or soft white flour) (60 g)
- Dash of coarse salt
- 3 T. unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into pieces (43 g)
- 2 1/2 T. packed light-brown sugar (33g)
- Sprinkle 1/4 tsp Cinnamon or All Spice right before placing in oven
Whisk together the flour and 1/8 teaspoon of salt. In a food processor, pulse the butter and brown sugar until combined. Add the flour mixture and pulse until the mixture forms clumps. Set aside. Reserve until assembling pie. It makes a lot, just put it on thick. It will settle in as it bakes.
Bake until when you insert a knife in the center of the pie it comes out clean. I usually have to bake it on the longer side.