Makes 3 quarts
- 1 whole chicken about 3 pounds or chicken legs
- 1/2 bunch of celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro or parsley stems
- 2 medium carrots, scrubber and coarsely chopped
- 1 lemongrass stalk, remove the tough layers, smash and coarsely chopped
- 8 dried chilies de arbol (any kind of chilies would work)
- 2 dried guajillo chiles
- 2 jalapenos halved lengthwise
- 1 head of garlic cut in half
- 1 piece of ginger peeled about 3 inches
- 3 bay leaves
- 1T. coriander seeds
- Place chicken, celery, onion, cilantro, carrots, lemongrass, chiles de arbol, guajillo chiles, jalapenos, garlic, ginger, bay leaves, and coriander in a large stockpot.
- Add cold water to cover, then bring to a boil over medium heat.
- reduce heat and simmer, occasionally skimming fat and foam form the surface, for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a rimmed baking sheet,
- Simmer stock 30 minutes longer.
- Once chicken is cool enough to handle. remove the skin and shred the meat. You will have about 4 cups of meat.
- Let the stock cool, then strain, pressing on the solids before discarding. Stock can be make 3 days ahead, and keep in fridge. Or you can freeze it for later use in soups.
Chicken Soup Recipe
You can add any type of vegetable you have on hand but the squash and the cabbage is nice especially in the winter months.
- 1 Butternut squash about 2 pounds (any type would work)
- 4 cups thinly sliced cabbages, it could be a mixture of bok choy Napa or what ever you like in greens
- 4 cups shredded chicken
- 4 cups of the chicken stock
- 1 ginger piece (2 inches) peeled and finely grated
1 jalapeno thinly sliced, basil leaves, or cilantro leaves