Oven: 375 degrees for 10 minutes
275 degrees for the 30-40 minutes until set.
Pie: 10 inch deep dish pie plate
2 quart jars of butternut squash or pumpkin ( well drained)
1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. guar gum (optional) ...thickener just in case you didn't cook the butternut squash down enough.
- The key to this pie is to drain the liquid from the quart jars and cook the squash for 10 minutes or so. Cook over medium heat on the stove top stirring so it will not burn. Heat until the liquid is gone and the mixture is thick.
- Use an inversion blender or food processor to blend the squash until smooth.
- Cool a bit and add the sweetened condensed milk and blend.
- Add the 3 eggs and spices to the mixture and blend.
- Pour into the prepared whole grain pie crust. I did not blind bake the crust and it turns out fine.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees and place the pie on a baking sheet in the lower 1/3 of the oven. (Bake for 10 minutes)
- Lower the oven to 275 degrees for the reminder of the baking (30-40 minutes)
- Check to see if the center is set by giving the baking sheet a small shake. The center of the pie should be moving very little and not shiny. You can also stick a knife in the center to see if it comes out clean.
- Remove and cool. It's best to let it sit overnight in the fridge before cutting not only will the texture be perfect but the flavor will be better.