10 inch pie plate or a deep dish 9 inch pie plate
Bake: Blind bake crust 25 minutes - pie around 50 - 60 minutes
Pan: 10 inch pie pan or a deep 9 inch pie plate
Crust Recipe: Use your favorite recipe for a 10 inch pie plate..My Recipe
1 c. heavy cream (242 g)
1 c. whole milk (244 g)
3 large eggs + 2 large eggs yolks
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 can pumpkin 15 oz
1 c. candied or plain yams (one 16oz. can drained will work it's a bit extra)
3/4 c. sugar (150 g)
1/4 c. maple syrup (79 g)
2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Blind bake your pie crust
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and turn on the oven to 375 degrees. Line the chilled pie shell with a double layer of foil and fill it with pie weights. I have a container of old beans that I use for the weights when I blind bake a pie crust.
- Bake until the pie dough looks dry and is light in color about 20-25 minutes. Remove the weights and foil and continue to bake the crust until golden brown. The Crust must still be warm when you add the filling. ... for more information on blind baking.
- While the pie shell is baking, whisk the cream, milk, whole eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla together in a medium bowl.
- Add the pumpkin puree and yams to the food processor and process until smooth. Place the mixture in saucepan over medium heat and add the sugar, maple syrup, ginger, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Simmer stirring constantly until very thick about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the cream mixture until full incorporated. Place the mixture into the warm blind baked pie crust.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- Adjust the racks in the oven so the pie will be in the lower third of the oven. Place the pie on a baking sheet in case of spillage. Bake the pie for 10 minutes at 375 degrees
- Turn the oven down to 300 degrees and continue to bake until the edges of the pie are set and the center registers 175 degrees. It does take some time to get the center to set. It should jiggle very slightly in the very center. When you look at it around the edges of the filling will look dryer and the center wet. Bake until the center is no longer shiny. There may be small cracks on the outer edges of the pie this is fine.
- This pie is best baked the day before you eat it, because it only gets better after sitting over night in the fridge. You may eat if after it cools to room temperature (2-3 hours).
The extra step of cooking the pumpkin and candied yams reduces the moisture and intensities the flavor of the pie. I think it's worth the extra step to create the complex and deep flavor of this dense wonderful pie.