Time: 25 minutes
Pan: 9"x9" or 10" cast iron skillet (heated in 425 degree oven)
Yields: 9 servings
1 c. yellow cornmeal (125g)
1 c. + 1 T. soft white flour (125g)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
2/3 c. buttermilk (170g)
2/3 c. milk (170g)
2 T. melted butter (28g)
Add 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese (56g)
8 oz. bacon cooked and diced
Add 1 can diced green chilies
- If you are going to use a cast iron skillet place it in the center of the oven and turn the oven to 425 degrees while you make the cornbread.
- Stir cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl set aside.
- In a separate bowl add the eggs to the buttermilk and milk mixture, beat until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry, stir quickly until just combined. Add the melted butter and stir again until combined. If you are adding extra ingredients crumble the bacon, cheese and green chilies on top of batter and fold into batter using a light hand don't over mix the batter.
- Pour the batter into the greased 9x9 pan or the hot cast iron skillet. Bake until the top is golden brown and lightly cracked and edges have pulled away from the side of the ban about 25 minutes.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting into squares or wedges and serve warm.