- 1 cup kamut berries
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head cauliflower, trimmed and broken into small florets, about 1 1/2 pounds florets
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch cubes, about 1 1/2 pounds
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small red onions, julienned
- 4 shallots or onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon Madras curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons sherry or wine vinegar
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/2 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Step 2 Place kamut berries in a small sieve and rinse under cold running water. Transfer kamut berries to a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover by 2 inches; generously salt water. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer until tender, adding more water as necessary, about 2 hours. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Step 3 Meanwhile, place cauliflower and squash on two separate rimmed baking sheets; drizzle each with 2 tablespoons olive oil and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to oven and roast until golden and slightly crisp, about 15 minutes for cauliflower and 30 minutes for squash.
- Step 4 Heat remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions and shallots; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden, but not browned, about 15 minutes.
- Step 5 Increase heat to medium-high and add mustard seeds, curry powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper; continue cooking until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add sherry vinegar, stirring from bottom of pan to deglaze, and cook 2 minutes more.
- Step 6 Remove from heat and add to bowl with kamut berries along with the lemon juice; stir to combine. Add cauliflower and squash; toss to combine. Just before serving, add parsley leaves and almonds; gently toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper; serve warm or at room temperature.