Great Prices on Herbs &Spices at the Co-Op
2 T. ancho chile powder
2 T. finely ground coffee beans
5 tsp. dark brown sugar
1 T. hot smoked Spanish paprika
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp. mustard powder
3/4 tsp. finely ground red pepper flakes (chili powder)
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 T. kosher salt (plus more)
2 16-oz boneless New York strip steaks (about 1 inch thick)
2 T. vegetable oil
- Mix ancho chile powder, ground coffee, brown sugar, paprika, dried oregano, pepper, coriander, mustard, red pepper flakes, ginger and 1 tablespoon salt in a small bowl.
- Season the steaks with salt, then coat with 5 tsp.spice rub per steak. Save the extra rub mix for another date. Place on a wire rack set inside a rimmed baking sheet and chill uncovered 3 - 6 hours.
- Let steaks sit 1 hour to come to room temperature, which helps them cook quicker and more evenly.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high . Cook steaks 2 minutes or son on each side to create a nice crust.
- Transfer skillet to oven, cook steaks until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 120 degrees for medium-rare, about 5 minutes. Transfer steaks to a cutting board, and let rest 10 minutes slice 1/2 inch thick slices.