Servings 8 (but can be divided in half easily)
1/2 c. water
16 dates about (4 oz.) pitted and finely chopped
1/2 c. fresh lime juice
6 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 T. dried oregano
4 tsp. honey
4 tsp. ground cumin
4 tsp. ground coriander
4 cans of black beans (15 oz) rinsed and drained
Or cook your own which is better Organic Black Turtle Beans
1/2 c. chopped red bell pepper
1/2 c. chopped yellow bell pepper
1/2 c. chopped green bell pepper
1/2 c. red onion
1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley
- Boil water and dates in a heavy small saucepan for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand 1 hour to soften.
- transfer the date mixture o a blender. Add lime juice, oil, oregano, honey, cumin and coriander and puree.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- (This can be made a day ahead. cover and refrigerate.) Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before using.
- Combine beans, bell peppers, onion and parsley in a large bowl.
- Toss with enough vinaigrette to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Can be made 6 hours ahead, and let stand at room temperature. You could also make the day before and place into the refrigerator.