Oven: 425 degrees
Bake: 15 minutes
Pan: Sheet Pan
Yields: 12 scones
3 c. Soft White Flour (pastry flour) 360 g
1 T. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1/3 c. sugar (73 g)
1 c. butter (2 sticks) cold and diced (226 g)
1 c. buttermilk (245 g)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 T butter (28 g)
2 T. sugar (25 g)
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder and soda.
- Cut the butter (with pastry cutter) into the dry ingredients until the mixture has a crumbly texture.
- Add buttermilk and vanilla.
- Stir until everything just comes together to make a stiff dough.
- Turn out onto the counter and knead 3 to 4 times .
- Divide the dough in half, pat each half into a 7 inch circle and cut it into six wedges. Place on a baking sheet.
- Toppings: Melt the butter and brush the top of each scone and sprinkle with the 2 T. of sugar.
Alternative Shaping Method:
- Using a 1/3 of a cup or a #12 scoop
- Scoop them onto the baking sheet and brush with the melted butter and top with sugar.
Blueberry Scones add 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
Add 1/2 cup dried cranberries, raisins, nuts or any type of dried fruit.
Add cinnamon, nutmeg or a spice of your choice.