Oven: 425 degrees
Bake: 15 minutes
Pan: Sheet Pan
Yields: 12 scones
3 c. Soft White Flour (pastry flour) 360 g
1 T. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1/3 c. sugar (73 g)
1 c. butter (2 sticks) cold and diced (226 g)
1 c. buttermilk (245 g)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 T butter (28 g)
2 T. sugar (25 g)
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder and soda.
- Cut the butter (with pastry cutter) into the dry ingredients until the mixture has a crumbly texture.
- Add buttermilk and vanilla.
- Stir until everything just comes together to make a stiff dough.
- Turn out onto the counter and knead 3 to 4 times .
- Divide the dough in half, pat each half into a 7 inch circle and cut it into six wedges. Place on a baking sheet.
- Toppings: Melt the butter and brush the top of each scone and sprinkle with the 2 T. of sugar.
Alternative Shaping Method:
- Using a 1/3 of a cup or a #12 scoop
- Scoop them onto the baking sheet and brush with the melted butter and top with sugar.
Added dried cranberries, raisins, nuts or any type of dried fruit.
Add cinnamon, nutmeg or a spice of your choice.