When roasting the chicken add some carrots and potatoes along side the chicken, that way your whole meal is complete and in one pan.
Oven: Preheat 350°
Bake: 2 hours depending on the size of your chicken
Onion Garvey: About 1 1/2 cups
Servings: 8 - 12 Servings
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium red onions, chopped
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Mix rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. Place onions in a roasting pan; place chicken over onions, breast side up.
- 2. Pat chicken dry. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from chicken; rub rosemary mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together.
- 3. Mix wine and vinegar; pour over chicken. Roast 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.)
- 4. Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Transfer onion and pan drippings to a small bowl; skim fat. Remove and discard skin from chicken before serving.
- Serve with onion sauce. Yield: 12 servings (1-1/2 cups onion sauce).
Nutritional Facts: 3 ounces cooked chicken with 2 tablespoons onion sauce equals 182 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 275 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 4 lean meat.
Taste of Home ...website