Last year I ordered two books on how to combine herbs and spices.
1) Herb Mixtures and Spicy Blends
Author: Maggie Oster
This is recipes just of herb and spice mixes ... Good Book
2) The Spice Lover's Guide to Herbs and Spices
Author: Tony Hill
This book goes into each herb, how it's grown and what part of the plant to use. It also has recipes that incorporate the herb. There are also recipes of herb and spice blends. Also a good book.
I have enjoyed the recipes from dressings to herbal teas and beverages. Here is a spice blend that I use everyday from making my omelets in the morning to fajitas at dinner.
Thai Hot Pepper Spice
This combination of spices will give anything a bit of a kick. You can increase the cayenne pepper as you see fit.
Combine -- Makes about 1/2 of a cup, keep in a small jar away from light
10 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. ground coriander
2tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. ground ginger
2tsp. onion powder
1/2 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
How I use the Thai Hot Pepper Spice
- Picante sauce that's wonderful on eggs or anything, much better then you can buy in the store. Recipe
- Chili in the crock pot .... Recipe
- Fajitas --Onions, bell peppers into a hot pan with a little oil until soft. Add your sliced meat of choice raw or cooked. When heated thru add a good coating of the Thai Hot Pepper Spice and toss to coat the meat and vegetables. Place into the flour tortillas with some cheese and picante sauce and you have dinner.
Spices are expensive but when you buy them from the Co-Op you can get 16 oz. of cinnamon for $3.25. At these prices you can afford to add spice to your life.