The heated starch granules, attract water molecules. This causes the granules to swell and soften, absorbing and trapping water. The flour absorbs twice as much hot liquid as cold liquid, which is why the heating process is essential.
Yudane: Ratio is 1:1 (1 part water to 1 part flour -20% of the flour in recipe)
- Boil the water and pouring over the flour and mix.
- Put into the fridge to cool for at least 8 hours - overnight.
- Good option to use for indirect dough
Yields: 24 Buns - 47g ea.
Recipe Adjusted to 75% Hydration & Tangzhong
Yudane 20% of recipe
128g flour (1 cup)
128g water (1/2 cup)
Heat water on stove or microwave and pour over the 128g flour and stir. Let this sit for 8 hours or put into fridge overnight.
514g Hard White ( 2 1/3 c)
3/4 tsp. dried malt powder (you can omit if you like)
8g Salt (3/4 tsp.)
10g Yeast (3 1/2 tsp.)
45g Cane Syrup (honey) (2 T. +1 tsp.)
346g Water (c)
20g Butter (1 1/2 T.)
10g Soy Flour (1 1/2 T.) omit if you like
- Add the yudane mixture to the liquid ingredients and mix.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixer then the liquid ingredients. Mix until just moistened and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Now develop the gluten with the mixer (mix 3 minutes with dough hook) Remove from the mixer and place the dough on the counter and flatten it out.
- Soften the butter and add the soy flour to form a paste. Spread the paste onto the dough and cut the dough into pieces and add back to the mixer bowl.
- Knead until the butter mixture is incorporated into the dough. The dough will now be softer. If should only take about 2 minutes.
- Bulk proof for 20-30 minutes
- Shape into 24 round balls about 45g - 47g each.
- Add Shine: 1 large egg yolk + 2T. water mix in a small bowl and brush the buns before proofing them.
- Proof for an addition 20 minutes until about the size you want them.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
- Put into the oven and bake at 350 for 15 minutes