510 grams of green cabbage shredded (3.4 cups)
115 grams carrots, thinly sliced (1 large carrot)
85 grams white onion, thinly sliced (1/2 large onion)
Zest of 1 lime or 2 T. lime juice.
12 grams salt (2 tsp.)
30 grams jalapeno, thinly sliced (1-2 jalapeno's depending on taste)
- In a large nonreactive bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, onions, lime and salt. Do not put the jalapenos in right now.
- Work the salt into the vegetable using your hands for about 2 minutes. Basically you want to squish and massage the vegetables so they start releasing their liquid.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir the jalapenos into the shredded vegetable mixture.
- Use your hands to pack the slaw tightly into a quart mason jar. A wide mouth jar works best so you can get your hand in there and rally pack it down.
- Once all of the slaw is packed into the jar, push it down, the liquid brine should just cover the vegetables.
- Secure the jar with an airlock and allow to ferment up up to 2 weeks. You can begin tasting to do tasting after 3 days.
- When to your liking refrigerate for long-term storage. It will not last long in the fridge it's a wonderful side dish or topping.